2011/05/25 Kuraray Co., Ltd.
News Releases 2011
Industry's First Zip-Up Bag with Impermeable Resin Inner Surface Material
Fragrance-Retaining, Resealable EVAL Packaging Bag Developed
Expansion into Wide-Ranging Applications, Including Food, Medicines, Cosmetics and Toiletries
May 25, 2011
Kuraray Trading Co., Ltd.
(The Kuraray Group)
Kuraray Trading Co., Ltd. (President: Hiroaki Yoshino; Headquarters: Kita-ku, Osaka) has developed a zip-up packaging bag, the first to utilize impermeable resin with superior aroma-retention qualities for its inner surface material.
Utilizing Kuraray Co., Ltd.'s EVAL gas impermeable resin for the packaging bag's inner surface enables quality to be maintained over prolonged periods. Compared with polyethylene and other standard materials, the new inner surface material more effectively inhibits the absorption of aromas and medicinal elements. The addition of a zipper to the bag makes this item suitable for storing and resealing contents. Kuraray Trading will intensify its marketing activities by developing new applications for the bag in such wide-ranging fields as food, medicines, cosmetics and toiletries.
Product Development Background
EVAL aroma-retaining, zip-up packaging bags containing coffee beans (left) and potpourri (right).
- Aroma-retaining packaging bags, which require impermeability and resealability, generally have an inner layer material such as polyethylene acting as a barrier.
- However, polyethylene inner layers absorb aromas and medicinal elements, requiring increased volumes of the content's constituent elements.
- Depending on the type of aroma or medicinal element, delamination can arise between the inner and barrier layers making it difficult to open the package.
- Up until now there had been no zippers that could be bonded to impermeable materials (barrier sealants). However, owing to the joint development efforts undertaken by Kuraray and Fuji Tokushu Shigyo Co., Ltd. (President: Kimio Sugiyama; Headquarters: Seto City, Aichi Prefecture), it is now possible to produce an aroma-retaining, resealable packaging bag.
- The EVAL barrier sealant inhibiting the absorption of aromas and medicinal elements prolongs the time that content ingredients can be kept.
- Resealable after opening by means of a zipper (excluding cases when the contents are in liquid form)
- Depending on the type of aroma or medicinal element, inhibits packaging delamination
Intended Fields and Applications
||Spices, food and beverages (coffee beans, tea, etc.)
||Plasters, insect repellant, chlorine disinfectant, pharmaceutical sachets
||Serums, milky lotions (for wrapping small quantity packs)
||Aromatic substances, air fresheners, all types of aroma chemicals
* Image download service for the news media
We provide the ability to download images by clicking on them exclusively to the news media.
Please contact the Kuraray Corporate Communications Department if you wish to use this service.